Curtain Players presents an annual forum new plays to receive their first voice in front of an audience. For complete submission and program details, click HERE.
Annual readers theatre weekend
Coming January 2017
- Open to playwrights residing in Franklin and contiguous counties and or/with a past or current relationship to Curtain Players.
- Submissions are due August 31, 2016. A selection panel will choose at least one submission for presentation.
- Submitted scripts — only non-musicals — should have a run time of 80 to 120 minutes.
- These must be new plays, not previously presented in a fully staged production or published in any form, or under any option for production or publication.
- Plays should be suitable for modest staging in a readers theatre format, that meaning: for casts no fewer than two or more than 12 actors (although more characters are permitted with doubling), and without overly elaborate special effects or set requirements.
- Curtain Players provides the playing space, rehearsal space, very basic stage lighting, sound playback equipment, and promotion of the production on its website.
- Selected playwrights are responsible for finding directors and performers, although Curtain Players can provide assistance.
- Curtain Players provides no payment or other compensation to the playwright, director, or actors involved. The author retains all rights to future use of the play.
A Message from the President
Read the latest update from Curtain Players President Jill Taylor.
Our Big Outdoor Adventure
Updated: March 18, 2016
- Spotlight: 'Gables' Script Meet Sep 1, Tryouts Sep 11
- Aug 26: Fall Post Cards Soon in Mailboxes
- Aug 25: Last Days for OCTA Conference Registration
- Aug 24: 'Anne Frank' Begins Rehearsals
- Aug 23: House Staff Volunteers Called for 'Earnest'
- Aug 22: All Curtain Tix On Sale Online
- Aug 22: Script Reviews, Open Auditions Continue
- Aug 18: Players Panels Part of Season 54
- Aug 16: Kroger, Amazon Shopping Helps Players
- Aug 16: Players Membership Defined
- See all Curtain Players news. >
In the Spotlight
'Gables' Script Meet Sep 1, Tryouts Sep 11
Curtain Players has announced a Thursday September 1 script review and Sunday September 11 audition date for Anne of Green Gables. The production is the third in the community theatre’s 2016-2017 season.
Jason Speicher is directing the family story, set for a Friday December 2 opening night at the Harlem Road playhouse. The script is based on the classic novel by Lucy Maud Montgomery, adapted by Peter DeLaurier.
Performances are Friday and Saturday evenings December 2-3, 9-10, 16-17 and Sunday afternoons December 11 and 18.
MEET THE DIRECTOR Jason Speicher is an experienced fight/stage combat choreographer. He has more than 15 years of acting, directing, and teaching credits with theatres in Columbus and central Ohio, including Actors’ Theatre of Columbus, The Ohio State University, Raconteur Theatre, Rosebriar Shakespeare Company, Columbus Civic Theater, and Curtain Players. Speicher served as fight choreographer for the recent Curtain Players outdoor staging of Robin Hood and the Secret of Sherwood in Westerville’s Alum Creek Park amphitheater. He is also artistic director of Patient Zero Theatre Company in Columbus.
SYNOPSIS When aging brother and sister Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert send to the orphanage in Nova Scotia for a boy to help them on the farm, they get more than they bargain for. Due to a mix-up, they are instead left with 11-year-old Anne Shirley. Over the course of six years, this romantic, hot-headed, and energetic girl wins their hearts and turns their stodgy, rural Canadian community into a bright world of kindred spirits. Click here for complete audition details and for character descriptions.
SCRIPT REVIEW The Anne of Green Gables script review session begins at 6:30 PM Thursday September 1 at the 5691 Harlem Road playhouse.
Curtain Players offers a script review session for each of its productions. The event is an opportunity for actors to become acquainted with the community theatre organization, to review the script, to discuss the play with the director, and to ask questions about the audition process, rehearsal period, and production plans. Those interested in working behind the scenes are also invited to attend to learn more about the project. The script review is offered as a help for actors seeking roles, but attendance is not required to audition.
As part of its Curtain Connects program, Curtain Players donates two copies of each script to Westerville Public Library for general circulation.
OPEN AUDITIONS Auditions for Anne of Green Gables are Sunday September 11 at the Harlem Road playhouse. Registration begins at 6:30 PM with auditions to begin promptly at 7 o’clock. An audition form may be downloaded by clicking here.
Curtain Players conducts open auditions for its productions. Roles are not cast in advance. Casting decisions are made by the director and a casting committee. The committee includes a member of the theatre board, a general member of the organization, and individuals of the director’s choosing.
Actors are encouraged to come to auditions familiar with the script and ready to read cuttings from the script. Every effort will be made to give actors equal chances to read. Resumes and head shots are helpful.
Curtain Players conducts one evening of auditions for each production. In the event that someone wishing to audition is not available to attend on the appointed date, an early audition may be requested of the director. The early audition will be granted solely at the director's discretion. The request for an early Anne of Green Gables audition must be made no later than Sunday August 28.
Questions related to the audition process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org